NATO seemingly walked back comments from the chief that suggested four U.S. soldiers who went missing while training in Lithuania had died, clarifying late Wednesday that the “search is ongoing.”
“On the 4 US soldiers missing in a military exercise in Lithuania, the search is ongoing,” NATO said in a post on social platform X. “We regret any confusion about remarks @SecGenNATO delivered on this today.”
Secretary General Mark Rutte signaled earlier Wednesday that the soldiers were dead. While speaking with reporters during a trip to Warsaw, Rutte said he received word that they had been killed, but it was “still early so we do not know the details.”
“This is really terrible news and our thoughts are with the families and loved ones,” he said at the time.
A NATO spokesperson said Rutte was referring to “emerging news reports” and not confirming the fate of the four soldiers, “which is still unknown.”
U.S. Army Europe and Africa said the missing troops were part of the Army’s 1st Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division and were training close to the Lithuanian city Pabradė, less than 6 miles west of the border of Belarus.
The Army said the armored vehicle carrying the four soldiers during a training exercise had been found submerged in a body of water. Recovery efforts are underway.
Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia — all members of NATO — have poor ties with Russia, who is an ally of Belarus. Relations have worsened in the three years since Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
President Trump was asked Wednesday if he had been briefed about the missing U.S. citizens and he said “no, I haven’t.”