Scholten won't seek Michigan Senate seat

Rep. Hillary Scholten (D-Mich.) announced on Tuesday that she would be forgoing a Senate bid to replace retiring Sen. Gary Peters (D-Mich.) next year.

“It's the honor of my life to represent my community, West Michigan, in Congress. That’s why I’m focusing all of my efforts on doubling down at home to fight for the people of this district. Strong leaders are needed now more than ever & I’m leading with strength,” Scholten said in a post on X.

She linked to an article from The Detroit News in which she told the Michigan news outlet that she would not be launching a bid for Peters’ seat.

"I see how scared people are,” she told The Detroit News. “I see how much they need a champion in Washington, and that's why I'm deciding to just focus all of my efforts on doubling down at home and making sure that every last ounce of my energy is going to fight for the people of west Michigan."

Peters announced in late January he would not be running for another term, making him one of a small handful of Senate Democrats not to seek reelection. The open seat is particularly good news for Republicans who narrowly lost the chance to nab former Sen. Debbie Stabenow’s (D-Mich.) seat last November.

Former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg has also decided against a run for Peters’ seat this cycle.

Among those who could enter the race include Democrat Reps. Haley Stevens and Hillary Scholten in addition to state Senate Majority Whip Mallory McMorrow, who’s becoming a rising star within the party.

Former Rep. Mike Rogers (D-Mich.), who lost to Sen. Elissa Slotkin (D-Mich.) last year, could potentially run again. Other Republicans The Detroit News noted could join the race include former gubernatorial contender Tudor Dixon, Rep. Bill Huizenga and state Sen. Jonathan Lindsey.

The nonpartisan election handicapper Cook Political Report rates the seat a “toss up.”