US 'revoking visas' for Palestinian officials ahead of UN General Assembly

The State Department on Friday said it would be “revoking visas” from Palestinian officials weeks ahead of the United Nations’ General Assembly in New York, set to be attended by President Trump.

Members of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) and the Palestinian Authority (PA) will have their visas revoked by Secretary of State Marco Rubio for “undermining peace.” 

State Department officials said Palestinian leaders would need to condemn the Oct. 7, 2023, massacre conducted by Hamas and end attempts to have territories in the West Bank and Gaza Strip recognized as a sovereign state, a measure Canada, Britain and France plan to honor at the General Assembly in September.

“Both steps materially contributed to Hamas’s refusal to release its hostages, and to the breakdown of the Gaza ceasefire talks,” the State Department wrote in a Friday statement

The Department said the PA Mission to the UN will receive waivers per the UN Headquarters Agreement.

“The United States remains open to re-engagement that is consistent with our laws, should the PA/PLO meet their obligations and demonstrably take concrete steps to return to a constructive path of compromise and peaceful coexistence with the State of Israel,” the Department release reads. 

Israeli leaders applauded the move while Palestinian heads urged the U.S. to shift course as conflict in the region continues to spur starvation and mass destruction.

In a statement Friday, the Palestinian presidency expressed “deep regret and astonishment at the US State Department’s decision not to grant visas to the Palestinian delegation participating in the UN General Assembly meetings next September.” The statement called on the US to “reconsider and reverse its decision,” as reported by CNN.

 The move follows the Trump administration’s July announcement declaring Palestinian officials would be denied visas and a decision to halt Gaza visitor visas earlier this month.